In my on-going mission to get some of my life back from the grasp of the MBA, I have set myself a challenge to do one outstanding DIY-task each week for the next 5 weeks. And I am happy to report that week 1 has been a success!
Have you ever started something and then wished you hadn’t?
Last year when I moved into my flat, I was greeted with the site of some truly hideous, dirty, ill fitting curtains in both bedrooms. They were quickly taken down in the back bedroom to be replaced by something that actually keeps to cold and light out (two fairly fundamental areas that the old curtains failed in), but lingered for a while in the front room. However both pairs have now been re-purposed for a new life and been given fresh purpose; truly they can claim that they now “I block light, therefore I am (a curtain)”.
I MADE A THING. AND IT WASN’T A TOTAL FUCK UP!!
It has been so fricking crazy recently… getting a grip on a new job and a new city, and just an awesome but totally exhausting amount of socialising and flat DIY. So the minimalism vibes have gone on the back burner a bit, but I intend to hit 100 tomorrow at last!
I have been working on a few bits over the last few days, and managed to get rid of, or make useful, another 6 items. I’m now only 9 items away from by target, and I am thinking of extending the challenge. But for now, the tale of the 6 items recently removed… Continue reading
I’m slowly eeking my way up to 100 items, which meant introducing a new rule:
- Any item actually put to use (that was previously just living life ignored on a shelf) then this counts towards the 100.
After a manic Christmas and New Year period, Phase one of “make my incredibly expensive but really quite manky flat” is about 80% complete. This meant decorating and furnishing the back bedroom to make this my room, and so allow me to rent out the front room and be able to eat again. Continue reading